This inspection verifies the characteristics of electronic parts to evaluate quality and originality. This includes inceptions such as the condition of the components, part markings, evidence of a secondary coating, lead conditions, dimensions and surface quality. Visual inspection is non-destructive and performed per SAE AS6081 and MIL-STD-883 Method 2009.9 and on a sample of parts from a given lot base on the sample according to the ANSI ASQE Z1.4 Table II−A.
Common things generally looked for during a visual inspection test of an Integrated Circuit device include:
- Package condition and dimension of the product
- Device markings and signs of remarking
- Body inspection to identify scratches, cracks, corrosion, contamination, markings, coatings, etc.
- Pin indicator orientation, texture, coating, dimensions
- Lead condition (oxidation, alignment, exposure, corrosion, etc.)
- BGA inspection for broken, damaged or displaced BGA’s
- Substrate condition